Category Archives: Minutes

Notice of Public Meeting Wednesday 11th August

Notice and Agenda for our public meeting on Wed 11th August 7pm

Our August 2021 meeting, will take place on Wednesday 11th August at 7pm via Zoom.

AUGUST BUSINESS MEETING

  1. Apologies
  2. Declarations of interest
  3. Minutes of the last meeting and matters arising: Gaelic translations; bike repair stands; appointment of new dentist;
  4. Correspondence: including a new licence application; repairs to Baugh public phone box; dog fouling; rubbish at Scarinish harbour; coastal erosion
  5. Meetings reports: Tiree Trust meeting; Jenni Minto, MSP
  6. Consideration of the final draft of the TCC Planning Policy
  7. Transport: including booking difficulties, re-formation of the Transport Forum; appointment to CalMac Community Board
  8. Community garden report
  9. Domestic rubbish: seasonal problems with rented properties
  10. AOCB
  11. Date of next meeting

 

Meeting papers:

DRAFT-COMMUNITY-COUNCIL-MINUTES-2021 AGM

DRAFT-COMMUNITY-COUNCIL-MINUTES-JUNE 1

DRAFT-COMMUNITY-COUNCIL-MINUTES-PLANNING 1606

Meeting joining instructions:

Please note: our meetings are recorded for the purpose of minute taking. If you do not wish your camera feed to be recorded, please do not enable your camera. Keeping it off rather than on but covered over also helps reduce internet load for participants.

Join Zoom Meeting online by PC or smart device:

Topic: Tiree Community Council – August Meeting
Time: Aug 11, 2021 07:00 PM London

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89885919949?pwd=aXhPUzM1eHIwV1ZpZ2JwSXdEK2lWQT09

Meeting ID: 898 8591 9949
Passcode: 093555

One tap mobile

+442034815237,,89885919949#,,,,*093555# The United Kingdom
+441314601196,,89885919949#,,,,*093555# The United Kingdom

Find your local number to dial in from if not in UK: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kcM2zZ5zxB

Guidance on joining the meeting:

You can choose how you view the meeting using the app if joining via the internet – “Gallery view” shows you multiple participants

Please note that by default you will join the meeting muted (i.e. you will not be sending sound out to the rest of the participants) – please leave yourself muted unless you need to speak, and when invited to do so by the chair, and remember to re-mute afterwards. This is needed to ensure that the call is not made very difficult to follow by background noise from multiple people, which can be extremely disruptive to the call.

The mute and unmute button is in the lower left, and looks like a microphone, next to the button for switching your webcam on/off.

If you are using a telephone to dial in, the mute and unmute command can be given by typing on your handset:

*6

If joining by computer, you can find a button to “Raise your hand” to ask to speak under the “Participants” menu, accessed by pressing the Participants button (looks like a human figure, in the middle of the bottom part of the window). You can also use the chat function to make a comment or to ask to speak on a point.

You can “raise your hand” to ask to speak if phoning in by using the code:

*9

As ever if you have questions or if there is anything we can do to help you take part in the meeting accessibly, please let us know by e-mailing louise@tireecommunitycouncil.co.uk 

Minutes of emergency private meeting 18th March 2021 re lockdown timetable consultation

MINUTES OF EMERGENCY PRIVATE MEETING OF TIREE COMMUNITY COUNCIL

18 March 2021 7.30 pm

By Zoom

 

  1. Present: Dr John Holliday (chair), Phyl Meyer, Gerard McGoogan, Alison Clark, Iona Campbell and Stewart Carr
  2. Apologies: John Patience and Louise Reid
  3. Basis of meeting: Tiree Community Council had been asked by Pippa Milne, the chief executive of Argyll and Bute Council, to provide feedback to the Leader of the Council, Robin Currie, by 1530 19 March. This feedback was the island’s view concerning the choice of level next month. There would be a further opportunity to submit feedback no later than the morning of Monday 21st March.
  4. Basis of the choice on offer: whether to move from Level 3 to what appears to be a modified Level 2 on 26 April with a restriction on travel between the mainland and Tiree, or to remain in Level 3 but have unrestricted travel to and from the mainland. We acknowledged that the situation was fast-moving and complex, and it was difficult to be sure that we had understood every possible implication. The discussion centred on the risk of importing Covid to the island, the protection offered by the vaccination programme to date, the economic effects of several further weeks of restricted travel on island tourism businesses that had already endured twelve months of reduced trading, the benefits of being in “Level 2” versus being in “Level 3” (thought to be relatively small), and the ability of island families to travel. Councillors had received a handful of emails already, mainly from islanders who owned or ran tourism-related businesses.
  5. Framing of a decision at this meeting: we decided, after some discussion, that we should have a vote so that the community council could present a voice from the island if necessary. We also decided to set up a digital survey on the matter which, if successful, would inform the final position we would take.
  6. Vote on a recommendation for the Level: we voted 5-0 to support “Level 3 with unrestricted travel” at this time, but agreed to review a final position after the survey.
  7. Survey: we agreed that PM and IC would work on the wording of a survey overnight. We will present the outcome of this, with all its caveats, to Cllr Currie before his meeting on Monday with the Scottish Government.

The meeting ended at 8.45 pm

Dr John Holliday

Note of the Planning sub-group meeting Jan 26th 2021

The first formal meeting of the newly convened planning sub-group of the Tiree Community Council met at 7pm on Tuesday 26th January 2021, via Zoom. The meeting was open to the public having been notified on our website in advance.

Present: Phyl Meyer (Chairing), John Patience, Stewart Carr

Apologies: Louise Reid, Iona Campbell

In attendance from the public: 1 member, by phone

It was noted that Louise had been unable to attend due to a meeting clash, and Iona had given apologies. Phyl also noted that while happy to chair to facilitate he was very busy at work lately and as a result very tired, and would be happy to take more of a backseat in the discussion! Phyl also suggested that it might be useful to consider seeking some volunteers from the community to join the sub-committee as non-councillor members/advisors – this would be selective/targeted rather than just by an open call. John agreed, suggesting a mix of relevant professional expertise and direct lived experience within key elements of the community (e.g. crofting) would be ideal. Further thought to be given to this and ideas for people to suggest brought back.

1. Planning process outline

Stewart presented a paper he had prepared which summarised the planning process as it is relevant to us as a Community Council. Some clarifying points offered by John on one or two points.

2. Statutory Consultee Process

Continuing with his paper Stewart outlined briefly how TCCs role functions as a “statutory consultee” within the planning process of Argyll and Bute Council (and beyond), with further comments added by John. Focus was directed on the importance of understanding how we determine what matters are “material” – meaning legally relevant to a response to an application, and therefore where we should focus our energies.

Further discussion of the document at this point focussed on the zoning that is in place in the Local Development Plan for Tiree and Coll, the key areas on the map that are helpful for this subject are the “Settlement” areas (presumption in favour of housing development), the “countryside” areas (presumption AGAINST housing development and the “Rural opportunity areas” (essentially where it’s a “maybe”). Suggestion that we’d expect not usually to need to get involved in applications for the first of these, always for the second (unless it’s specifically for a croft house, where there is specific provision for this), and usually for the third (except for croft houses).

We could of course be asked to or minded to oppose or to support applications depending on the potential impacts on the community. Also important to be aware of areas of archaeological significance, environmental protection, etc. Not likely to need or want to get involved in such things as domestic alterations (minor extensions, etc) but more likely to get involved with listed building applications, etc. There is guidance available which we should have reference to which helps identify what would be considered to “have an impact” and obviously we take account of the views of community on that as well.

Another key test on if we should get involved is if an application is a “departure from the Local Plan” – again this might then be something we could either be minded to oppose or, in fact, to support if there are good arguments for the community to allow the exception.

Discussion about how we take account of considerations of immediate short term impact/views and balance/reflect this with longer term impacts/precedent setting – (e.g. “OK this one might be OK, but what if 20 more applications like this come along in the next five years). For these issues, feeding into the setting of the Local Development Plan would be key.

General agreement that it would be helpful to develop something of a “checklist” or chart to follow to assess an application in a clear way to determine relevance – akin to a risk assessment. Agreed that the sub-committee should consider further how we assess “impact to the community” in relation to such a process.

ACTION – Stewart to add further details to the paper, Stewart and John to lead on developing further ideas around capturing a draft “process” for consideration at future meetings.

Phyl suggested it would be well worth trying to see if we can find existing material on this developed by other Community Councils. John agreed and stated that he would contact Cumbrae and Mull CCs to ask what they have. Phyl suggested also contacting the Scotland-wide Community Council support service (run by the Improvement Service).

ACTION: John to contact the above three places to see what he can find.

3. Establishing a response mandate from the community

Due to two members not being present who the others felt would have particular contributions to make to this point, it was agreed to postpone this area to the next meeting.